In these times where it has been proven necessary to adapt to the constant changing circumstances, more than ever it is essential to unite as a front so that there is international cooperation that is mobilized across borders, sectors and generations.
In the face of the COVID-19 pandemic and converging crises that include: climate change, economic uncertainty, social inequality and growing misinformation; Public and private institutions have the obligation to present themselves as responsible, ethical, inclusive and transparent, so that public trust can be strengthened and a more sustainable future can be achieved for all.
The multilateral system is being threatened by those who want to act alone rather than work together.
We, representing the business front, recognize that peace, justice and strong institutions are beneficial to the long-term sustainability of our organizations and are critical to upholding the Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact and achieving the Goals of Sustainable Development (ODS).
In the spirit of renewed global cooperation, we commit to:
- Demonstrate ethical leadership and good governance through values-based strategies, policies, operations and relationships by interacting with all stakeholders.
- Invest in addressing systemic inequalities and injustices through inclusive, participatory and representative decisions at all levels of our business.
- Partner with the UN, government and civil society to strengthen access to justice, ensure accountability and transparency, provide legal security, promote equality and respect human rights.
In making that commitment, we also call on governments to:
- Protect human rights, guarantee peace and security, and uphold the rule of law so that businesses, individuals, and societies can prosper.
- Create an environment conducive to serving the interests of people and the planet, prosperity and purpose, through strengthened international cooperation and frameworks.
- Improve multilateralism and global governance to combine against corruption, build resilience and achieve the SDGs. Now is our opportunity to learn from our collective. experiences to realign the mission of the UN and lead our world on a more equitable, inclusive and sustainable path. We are in this together, and we are united in the business of a better world.
As the world moves from thought to action, join us in learning how companies can take clear steps and demonstrate bold leadership for the Decade of Action to transform business models and economies to be more fair and inclusive, ensuring that no one is left behind.
Click on the link to know more about this cause